There are two options.
1. If the fault is a simple one, which does not require any expensive parts, the advice is always to repair the boiler and then carry out a full boiler service.
2. If the boiler requires a major part such as a fan, P.C.B. or a gas value, then the repair can become quite costly. In this case, the following points must be considered.
- General condition of the boiler
- If any other boiler parts are likely to fail in the short term
- The age of the boiler (if over 10 years old, it is nearing the end of useful lifespan)
With this in mind, I recommend a maximum spend of €250 to repair a ten year old boiler. Beyond that, your hard earned cash is far better going towards a new high efficiency boiler.